Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

No More Anne Hathaway

  
No More Anne Hathaway
            I knew today would be my best day because I did not have to wake up with cookie crumbles in my bed. It had been three days since Lauren had moved out of the apartment and her habits had left with her. Yet, even with the pleasure in waking to smooth sheets lacking mysterious crumbs, I knew losing her as my friend and roommate would not be easy. But today was not just an average day to mope about the past. I had my first real interview post-college. It had been nice waitressing for the past year, but I knew my parents were anxious to see my Bachelor's degree from Smith be put to use. But they had to admit it was through my current job at Joe's Steakhouse I had found my new career opportunity. The father of one of my usual families had found out that I was interested in communications. He gave me the contact information of a company in need of a public relations assistant, accompanied with a letter of recommendation. With no Lauren, no drama, no cookie crumbs, I felt as if nothing could go wrong today.
            “Lauren, can’t you please use a plate when you eat in my bed?” I begged as she sat next to me, her hand full of Oreos.
            “Don’t worry Hannah; I won’t lose any crumbs this time.” She replied, but I watched as the black pieces fell into the folds of my comforter. I didn’t say anything, it was no use. I could never understand why it bothered her so much to use a plate, but I didn’t want to start another fight, especially after the one at dinner. I sighed, and we continued to watch Gossip Girl. Each one of her bites made me cringe.
            I shook the Lauren thoughts from my mind as I approached my destination. A large sign out front named the place I hoped to soon be working at. “Franey Communications.” I could already hear myself at parties, talking about my new name. “Oh yes, I work at Franey… Yes, they are doing such great work… I work in public relations; I’m like a consultant to the companies that come to us… Why thank you, I like your sweater as well.” I glanced down at my resume and once again assured myself there was no way I could not get the job. Diploma from Smith, graduated with Honors. Various volunteer jobs that were concerned with communication, parents infamous in the attorney world. I had it all for this job.
            I entered the waiting room, and went directly to the receptionist. “Hello. My name’s Hannah Reedy. I’m here for an interview with Mary Hampton.” I said.
            “Of course. Ms. Hampton will be with you in just a moment, she is finishing up another interview,” she replied, and motioned for me to sit down. “All the magazines are next to potted plant.”
            I wasn’t planning on reading trashy literature, but I found myself with nothing better to do after reviewing my talking points and resume three more times. I found myself staring into the face of Anne Hathaway. Of course. Lauren’s favorite actress.
            “C’mon, you love Jane Austen. Can’t we watch Becoming Jane?” Lauren pleaded with me, attempting to give me a puppy dog stare. It hadn’t worked before, and it didn’t work this time.
            “Jesus, Lauren. We watched that like, last week,”
            “Don’t say like! You’ll never get into communications if you say like!” She shrieked, laughing as I considered lunging at her throat.
            “Shut up. Can’t I finish one sentence without you freaking out at my grammar” I said. But Lauren just smiled.
            “We’re watching it.” She grinned even larger.
            “No Lauren! I have 20-page paper to write for Wednesday, I need some quiet. Can’t you just leave me alone for once?” I shouted. The smiled faded quickly.
            “Fine. Whatever. I’m going out.” She mumbled, secretly begging me to ask her where she was going, and to stay instead. I said nothing, so she walked out the door, slamming it behind her.
            “Miss Reedy? Ms. Hampton will see you now.” The receptionist pulled me out of my memory.
            I just nodded, and stood up. I was out of it now. She always seemed to do this to me. She distracted me when we were room mates and now it was just worse. When I had explained what was happening to my friend Brian, he just laughed. “Look, you guys had a pretty big fallout, and she was nutso to begin with. Don’t worry about, you’ll forget about her soon.” That didn’t seem to be the case.
            I picked up my briefcase and walked towards the hallway leading to the offices. But one last memory made its way into my head…
            “Lauren, I really think it’s time you moved out. You distract me, you pester me, you make a mess of everything. My grades have gone down, and I don’t even have time to sleep after getting everything done then having to clean up your mess afterwards. You should start looking for a new place.” I forced the words out, the thing I had needed to say for a long time now. Lauren just stared at me.
            “You’re joking. Come on Hannah, we’ve been friends forever! We’ve been having so much fun.” She replied, and tried to go in for a hug. I coolly moved out of the way. She then began to panic.
            “Han, I have nowhere to go! And I need you to take care of me. You keep me moving; make me do what I need to do.”
            “That’s the thing. You haven’t been doing anything. I’ve been doing it, giving the illusion that you actually do shit around this apartment.” I wouldn’t let her talk me out of it. She had been successful in talking me into buying a huge T.V., stocking the pantry with disgusting Oreos, and watching countless Anne Hathaway movies. She would not talk me out of this.
            “Fine. If that’s how you really feel. I’ll pack up my stuff now. I’ll stay with my other friends. But I’m taking the T.V.” She retorted. I knew I could argue that I had paid for most of it, but for right now I just wanted her gone. So I just nodded.
            “I need your key.” I said. That’s when I saw tears in her eyes. But I just told myself again, I had to do this. She pulled the key out of her purse and handed it over.
            “You’re going to regret this.” She whispered. I pretended not to hear. And an hour later I finally had peace and quiet.
            I laughed at the scene now.  What could she possibly do to mess anything up for me. No cookies in bed, an Anne Hathaway free house, what more could I want. And now this, a chance at a job that would finally get me into the communications world. I knocked on the door that read “Mary Hampton.” As I waited patiently, my nerves subsided and I thought again of my newly employed self at parties. “Oh I make quite a bit more that! What am I going to do with the bonuses? I was thinking a trip to Hawaii, but there are so many possibilities.”
            I came out of the pleasant day dream when the door opened. That’s when I heard the all too familiar voice. “Thank you so much, Ms. Hampton. I mean, I know this was an interview, but I just really enjoyed talking to you as well.”
            “Of course, Ms. Grimley. It was a pleasure to meet you.” A new voice replied. I was able to see her now.
            “Lauren.” I whispered. She just smiled, and walked away.
            “Did you say something?” Ms. Hampton said.
            “Oh, uh, no. Sorry.” I replied, caught off guard. She pursed her lips, and then motioned me through the door. It was too late to realize I hadn’t even introduced myself. I had also forgotten all my talking points.

No comments:

Post a Comment